Digitally coloured and enhanced old photograph of Wath North Railway station before demolition.
Wath North railway station was on the Midland Railway’s Sheffield – Cudworth – Normanton – Leeds main line, serving the town of Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire, England.
The town had three railway stations, of which Wath North was the furthest from the town centre; it was three-quarters of a mile to the north, in an area of heavy industry away from residential areas, on the road to Bolton-on-Dearne.
It was built by the North Midland Railway in 1841, the year after the railway opened, and was called Wath and Bolton. It was a victim of the Beeching axe, closing on 1 January 1968 when the local Sheffield-Cudworth-Leeds passenger trains were withdrawn.
Express passenger and freight trains continued to pass through the station until 1986 when the line was closed due to severe subsidence; few remains of the station were present at that time.
Great photo spent many happy hours there trains spotting a long long time ago! Only a short bike ride from Mood Road.