THE QUEEN OF VILLAGES
Cooling towers at Mexborough Power Station
Mexborough Power Station was a coal-fired power station situated on the bank of the River Don on the border of Mexborough and Denaby, adjoining Doncaster Road.
The plant operated from the early 1950s. The site housed four generating sets of approximately 30 MW each, giving the station a total generating capacity of 120 megawatts (MW).
Four individual boilers were used, each having its own substantial chimney and giving this local landmark its distinctive appearance. It closed on 26 October 1981, with a generating capacity of 113 MW.
The station was demolished in 1988. The demolition of the station sparked local interest when one of the giant chimneys was toppled accidentally and fell across the site, prematurely demolishing much of it. Contamination at the site was a concern.
The site today is an housing estate, areas of which are still under construction as of December 2015.
Here is another uploaded picture from our numerous archived collections. You can SHARE all our community posts and images. Tell your friends and family to join in and be sure to post your news, events and most of all, your comments to any of the published content which is intended for everyone’s enjoyment.
- Park Road School 008
- Park Road School 014
- Wath Grammar School Staff Group Photo 1992
- Wath Brewers Whitworth Son and Nephew
- (4) WathUponDearne Community Group
- Wath Main Colliery 1910
- America Joins The War
- Park Road School 019
- Coronation Arch Wath-upon-Dearne 1911
- West Melton – Herbert Needham
- Memories Of Wath-upon-Dearne
- Sheffield Hallam MP – BBC News
- Poundworld announce closures
- Montgomery Rd. Wath-upon-Dearne
- Old Trinity Church Wentworth
- Halifax in Yorkshire
- Wath Grammar School – Staff Photo 1953
- Park Road School 009
- Double hand transplant a ‘marvellous ride’
- Wath Grammar School Girls – Photograph taken in 1923-24
- Life saving helmet
- Park Road School 016
- Wath Grammar School Technology Block 1950
- West Melton in South Yorkshire
- Wath Central WMC
- Clifton Park Picnic
- Bolton-on-Dearne Mexborough Road
- St Joseph’s Catholic Church Wath
- All Saints Parish Church, Wath-upon-Dearne
- West Melton In South Yorkshire
- Waterstones Glassworks Wath-upon-Dearne
- West Street Wath
- Brampton Hall
- Newhill Hall c1900
- Towards Barnsley Road Wath-on-Dearne
- Manvers Prep. Plant
- Denaby Crossing
- Park Road School 002
- Park Road School 010