Latest news in Yorkshire: November 18, 2017 09:20:54 AM
Detectives in Sheffield have been granted the right to issue two court protection orders to protect a woman and child from Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).
Yesterday afternoon (Thursday 16 November), officers from the Child Abuse Investigation Unit attended Sheffield Family Court to apply for the right to issue two FGM protection orders to protect a victim and potential victim identified during an ongoing investigation. At the hearing, officers presented the details of the case before the judge who granted them the permission to serve the orders.
Under the orders granted, officers have been given the right to seize the passports of the victim and potential victim to protect them from FGM and prevent them from being taken out of the UK and into a situation where they could be at greater risk.
Deputy force lead for FGM, Detective Sergeant Suzanne Jackson has commented on the orders. She said: “The effectiveness of these orders, of which eight have now been granted, has enabled us to safeguard victims and potential victims, and further prevent the detrimental and devastating long-term effect they could and may have been subjected to.
“In this instance it was the commitment and dedication of DC Tom Bishop, who identified the risks they were exposed to, which enabled us to reach this point and effectively issue the orders. Through his efforts and continued perseverance, we have been able to take steps to protect, provide support and prevent additional harm from being caused.
“FGM is a serious offence that can cause both physical and psychological harm and it is our responsibility to work to prevent this. FGM is a harmful cultural practice that can often take place without a victims consent and our priority remains working with our partners to enforce the law, protect victims and raise awareness.”
If you would like to report anything, whether you are or know a victim or survivor, please contact police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.
Advice and support about FGM and the new mandatory reporting regulations can also be found on our website www.southyorks.police.uk or through your local health centre or third party organisation such as Ashiana.
- Black Rhino Project
- Church Street End 1991
- Wath-upon-Dearne John Payne Estate Auction
- The Boys and Girls brigade
- Wath Empire Hall Demolished
- Memories Of Wath-upon-Dearne
- Bolton-on-Dearne Mexborough Road
- St Josephs RC Junior School Easter Parade
- Two jailed for Barnsley burglaries
- Rotherham Doorman In Court
- Wath-upon-Dearne In 1086
- St Joseph’s Catholic Church Wath
- Typical classrom Wath Grammar 1948
- Brampton Hall
- Blue Bridge to Lake in Wath-upon-Dearne
- Thornhill Place 1991
- Town Hall in Wath-upon-Dearne
- Conisbrough Castle Fireplace
- Brampton Ellis School 1946
- Denaby Crossing
- Memories Of Wath-upon-Dearne
- Wath Grammar School – Staff Photo 1953
- Newhill Hall c1900
- All Saints Parish Church in Wath
- Hoober Stand in South Yorkshire
- West Melton – Herbert Needham
- Moore Road, Wath-upon-Dearne c1900
- Glastics Glassworks Fire
- Henry Payne Of Newhill
- Hoober Observatory near Wentworth
- West Melton in South Yorkshire
- Newhill Farm 1900
- Hall’s Dentist West Melton
- Warren Vale 1930
- Newhill Hall, Wath-upon-Dearne
- Whitworth Son and Nephew Brewery
- West Melton In South Yorkshire
- Park Road Infanst School Demolition in Wath
- Brampton Ellis School 1947
- Heading into Town Centre of Wath